Department: Her Majesty’s Prison
Salary: EC$27, 396 – $41,760
Grade: R39 – R28
Deadline Date: November 25, 2020
About The Job
The Government of Montserrat is inviting applications from suitably qualified persons who have been resident on Montserrat for at least one (1) year to fill the post of Prison Officer, Her Majesty’s Prison.
The successful applicant will be required to work on a Shift Rota system including weekends and public holidays.
To ensure the security and control of all Prisoners in accordance with the Prison Ordinance and supporting Regulations.
In addition to carrying out the duties and responsibilities of a Prison Officer as provided for under the Prison Ordinance, supporting regulations, General Orders and the Superintendent’s Standing Orders the successful applicant will:
- Maintain safe custody of prisoners;
- Carry out security checks and searching procedures as instructed by the Superintendent of Prisons;
- Supervising prisoners on work assignments, meal times and recreation;
- Keeping account of prisoners in your charge and maintain order;
- Employ authorized physical control and restraint procedures where appropriate;
- Take care of prisoners and their property, taking account of their rights and dignity;
- Provide appropriate care and support for prisoners at risk of self-harm;
- Take an active part in rehabilitation programmes for prisoners;
- Assess and advise prisoners, based on your training drawing on your own experiences.
- Maintain records on all prisoners, write fair and perceptive reports on prisoners;
- Promote and adhere to all Prison Rules and Regulations.
- Should have received a Certificate of completion of Secondary School Education OR gained three (3) or more subject passes at O’ Level CXC or GCE, OR have three (3) years’ experience working in a security field;
- Should not have any criminal convictions in this jurisdiction or elsewhere;
- Should have the ability to give instructions to prisoners as well as building appropriate relationships to assist in reducing reoffending after release;
- Must be able to work within the parameters of a Prison Institution or Correctional facility;
- Must be physically fit;
- Should have a keen interest in self – development;
- Should be able to work as a team member;
- Should have excellent written and oral communication skills;
- A valid driver’s license and the ability to operate a manual transmission vehicle would be an asset;
- Ability to demonstrate a high level of integrity and discipline.
Basic Salary is in the scale R39-R28, that is EC$27,396.00 to EC$41,760.00 per annum (Taxable).
Appointment will be made on a permanent basis, with a probationary period of two (2) years.
Successful applicants would be expected to undergo the Prison Officer Entry Level Training, physical fitness test and other entry requirements. Uniform and other appropriate training will be provided.
How To Apply
Application forms can also be obtained from the Human Resources Management Unit. Their contact details are:
Address: Human Resources Management Unit, Brades, and Montserrat
Telephone: 1 (664) 491-2365/2444
Fax: 1 (664) 491-6234.
Applicants must provide all of the following information:
- A completed Application Form with a covering letter
- A comprehensive curriculum vitae with full particulars of experience, and
- Original certificates of qualifications or official notarized copies
- A clear statement detailing why in the applicant’s view he/she considers him/herself well qualified for the position
- Two letters of reference with full contact details of the referees
Completed application forms must be returned to the Human Resources Management Unit either by email, or by fax or by ordinary mail, and addressed to the Chief Human Resources Officer.
The deadline for the receipt of applications is 4:00 p.m. Wednesday, 25 November, 2020.
More Job Vacancies
Click to view the Full List of jobs.