Department: Ministry of Finance and Economic Management
Grade: R0 – R0
Deadline Date: Monday November 30, 2020
About the Job
The Government of Montserrat is inviting applications from suitably qualified persons for the post of Financial Secretary, Ministry of Finance and Economic Management.
To ensure high standards of prudential, transparent management of Government of Montserrat resources through: supervision of the Government budget; advice on economic policies and financial management to all institutions of Government, including private corporations with significant public investment; and support for the Minister in performing his responsibilities under the Public Finance (Management & Accountability) Act and the Constitution.
Technical, Constitutional and Regulatory:
- Assisting the Minister in ensuring that efficient and fair systems are established throughout Government for planning, allocating and disbursing the budget;
- Considering all requests for expenditure from the Consolidated Fund and making appropriate recommendations to the Minister of Finance, including on the estimates of expenditure for approval by Legislative Assembly;
- Ensuring that goods and services are procured in a transparent, fair, competitive and cost-effective manner;
- Ensuring the cost-effective cash management of the Consolidated Fund, and any other fund established under the Public Finance Act and other public funds;
- Ensuring the effective management of any statutory body for which the Minister is responsible and the effective management of funds and resources by all other statutory and public institutions;
- Providing advice to Cabinet and Legislative Assembly on finance and economic policies and programmes;
- Ensuring the preparation and submission of an economic and fiscal management plan and annual budget to the Minister as required by law;
- Representing Government’s financial interests in statutory organizations, regional institutions Government Companies, or organisations in which Government of Montserrat has a financial interest;
- Reviewing, and advising from the perspective of financial management and probity, on all reports, papers and forecasts prepared for consideration by the Government of Montserrat;
- Formally appointing, with the approval of the Minister and Governor, all Accounting Officers within the Government of Montserrat;
- Conducting financial negotiations on behalf of the Government of Montserrat within the guidelines and remit established by Cabinet;
- Representing the Government of Montserrat at technical financial meetings with the ECCB, Caribbean Development Bank, CARTAC, UK Government, Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development, International Monetary Fund, World Bank and European Union local financial institutions.
Transparency, Accountability and Effectiveness
- Overseeing operational and systemic improvements to ensure value for money, high standards of integrity and transparency, effective monitoring of service delivery, effective public procurement and more consistent departmental performance;
- Advising on the regulation of the financial services sector (in coordination with the Financial Services Commission) and supervision of the regulation of the local insurance industry;
- Ensuring the effective operation of internal audit, the enhancement of internal control mechanisms and early detection of systemic weaknesses, and effective scrutiny;
- Establishing Boards of Inquiry as deemed necessary to ensure fraud and corrupt practices are properly investigated and submitted as provided in the relevant regulations;
- Manage and guide the staff of the Ministry to ensure a positive, dynamic and effective working environment;
- Mentor and coach personnel within the Ministry to develop future leaders for Montserrat’s financial management and public service;
- Engage as part of the senior leadership team of the government and public service on key issues of public sector performance and reform;
- Ensure that the public facing financial management systems are operated in a responsive, courteous and professional manner.
Qualifications & Experience
Reporting to HE, the Governor, applicants should have the following qualifications:
A Master’s Degree in Business Administration with specialization in Economics, Finance and/or, Accounting or related field;
A professional accounting qualification e.g. Chartered Institute of Public Finance and Accountancy – CIPFA, Association of Chartered Certified Accountants – ACCA, Chartered Institute of Management Accountants -CIMA, American Institute of Chartered Public Accountants – AICPA or equivalent;
- Applicants will have held senior financial management and planning positions within similar government or international financial organisational settings, and will bring an awareness of effective financial and economic management practices and an ability to translate these to the Montserrat context;
- Applicants will have an understanding of economic and financial pressures and opportunities within similar contexts, and preferably within small island economy settings;
- Applicants will have held senior management positions for 10 years or more with at least 3 or more years in a leadership role including line management responsibilities;
- Applicants will have worked closely with international financing bodies such as bilateral donors or international financial institutions and will have experience of managing complex externally financed programmes;
- Applicants will be able to lead policy development and implementation of major change programmes and strategic initiatives including reform of systems and processes;
- Applicants will have skills in negotiating with elected officials, senior managers, strategic partners and external stakeholders and will be strong team players, able to build trust across a wide range of stakeholders;
- Applicants will be able to think strategically, with strong analytical and problem solving skills;
- Applicants will understand the imperative of integrity in public office and be committed to upholding the highest standards of probity in the use of funds and resources;
- Applicants will have excellent skills in communication (oral and written) and presentation skills; and in mentoring, coaching and team building.
Terms & Conditions of Engagement
TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF ENGAGEMENT
Appointment will be made on a permanent or contractual basis.
The total remuneration package for the post of Financial Secretary is EC$189,720.00 (taxable) per annum.
A taxable International Supplement will be applied (ranging from EC$100K-EC$175K per annum) if applicant is recruited from overseas to cover housing and relocation:
**Note: US$1= EC$2.67
£1 = EC$3.50
You will be entitled to:
- Passage for yourself and spouse, and up to two (2) children of school leaving age (that is up to eighteen (18) years), if they accompany you within the first six (6) months of your appointment, to reside on Montserrat, at the expense of the Government of Montserrat by the most economical and direct route from country of residence/origin and return on your final contractual engagement.
- the cost of transporting personal effects up to a maximum of one standard 20ft container from country of residence/origin at the start (within the first six (6) months) and end of final contract.
- the re-reimbursement of incidental expenses excluding insurance, but including the cost of crating, packing and handling baggage not exceeding EC$250.00, from country of residence/origin and return at the end of your final contractual engagement.
- a the reimbursement of one extra accompanied baggage per person, from country of residence/origin and return at the end of your final contractual engagement.
How to Apply
Application forms can also be obtained from the Human Resources Management Unit. Their contact details are:
Address: Human Resources Management Unit, Brades, and Montserrat
Telephone: 1 (664) 491-2365/2444
Fax: 1 (664) 491-6234.
Applicants must provide all of the following information:
- A completed Application Form with a covering letter
- A comprehensive curriculum vitae with full particulars of experience, and
- Original certificates of qualifications or official notarized copies
- A clear statement detailing why in the applicant’s view he/she considers him/herself well qualified for the position
- Two letters of reference with full contact details of the referees
Completed application forms must be returned to the Human Resources Management Unit either by email, or by fax or by ordinary mail, and addressed to the Chief Human Resources Officer.
Shortlisted applicants will be invited to participate in a selection process that involves attending one or more interviews and/or assessment centres. These interviews are designed to assess the skills, competencies and attitudes of the applicant and may be conducted via SKYPE or in person. The Interviews and/or Assessment Centres allow the Selection Panel to draw on more evidence about the applicants than can be derived from the written application.
The deadline for the receipt of applications is 4:00 p.m. Monday 30 November, 2020.
More Job Vacancies
Click to view the Full List of jobs.