Temporary Visitors’ Driving License
In order to be able to drive legally in Montserrat you must obtain a temporary local driving license from the immigration section at your port of entry or from the Royal Montserrat Police Service. The temporary Montserrat driver license may be granted with or without a driving test, for a period not exceeding three months. The temporary driver’s license cost EC$50 or USD$20, and you must present your current driving license to obtain the local permit.
Licensing a Vehicle
Private motorcycles and motor cars brought into Montserrat by foreign visitors for their own use for a period not exceeding three months, don’t need to have the Montserrat registration. However, the licensing officer may issue a temporary license for the owner to use the private vehicle for no more than three months. For that, the owner must have a valid car registration license issued by the country in which his vehicle was last licensed and third-party liability insurance.
The licensee must affix the disc with particulars therein at the bottom left corner of a vehicle, which is driven from the right side and at the bottom right corner of a vehicle which is driven from the left side.
Main Montserrat Road Traffic Rules
- The age for driving motorcycles is 16 years or over, motor cars other than motorcycles – 18 years or more.
- Driving with due care and attention is paramount at all times.
- The local speed limit is 30mph and 20mph in developed areas.
- Vehicles are driven on the left-hand side of the road.
- Overtaking is on the right side of the road.
- A motor vehicle which has not been fitted with pneumatic tyres may not be used on any road.
- Any driver must stop his car, if required to do so by a police officer in uniform.
- It is not lawful for more than one person in addition to the driver, to be carried on a motorcycle.
- It is illegal to throw objects from a moving or stationary vehicle.
- The permitted blood alcohol level is 0.08%.
- It is not permitted to drive a vehicle backwards at the junction of any road and around corners.
- The engine must be stopped on leaving a motor vehicle.
- In the case of goods vehicles, not more than one person may sit by the driver side unless a vehicle has been constructed to accommodate more than one person beside the driver.
- A driver must not stop his motor vehicle within 30 feet (9 m) from any corner, drive, carriageway, or private road.
- To leave a vehicle at night, a driver must park the vehicle as close as possible to the left-hand side of the road facing the direction in which the vehicle was moving.
- Drivers are not permitted to use horns from 21:00 (9 p.m.) to 5:30 (5.30 a.m.) in any area in Montserrat.
- Sparks, smoke, or visible vapour on a vehicle are not permitted, as they can cause danger to the public.
- It is illegal to carry more persons in a vehicle than it is licensed to carry.
- Any vehicle must give way to a Fire Brigade proceeding to or from a fire.
- Any vehicle must be equipped with a reflecting mirror.
- It is not permitted to drive a vehicle which causes a loud noise to the annoyance or disturbance of any person.
Additional Driving Information
- Roads are narrow, winding and steep.
- Any police officer may arrest without warrant any person who is driving under the influence of drink or drugs. On a third conviction for drunk driving, any driver will be permanently disqualified for holding a driver license.
- Any police officer may arrest without warrant any driver who is driving dangerously or carelessly or racing on a road, unless the driver gives his name and address or his driver license for examination.
- If an accident occurs whereby damage or injury is caused to any person, vehicle or animal (horse, cattle, ass, mule, sheep or goat), the driver must stop and give his name and address (the name and address of the car owner) and the identification marks of the vehicle. If a driver for any reason does not give his name and address, he must report the accident at a Police Station within 24 hours.
- The telephone numbers for the Royal Montserrat Police Service are 999 or (664) 491 2555/2355/2556/4255.
- In a medical emergency (ambulance required) contact Fire, Search and Rescue: Telephone 911 or (664) 491 7790.
There are two gas stations on island: Osborne Service Station and A&F Gas Station. The service station attendants at both gas stations will assist you, just indicate to them how much petrol you would like.
The contact details for both gas stations are provided below:
Osborne Service Station
Address: St. Peter’s Main Road, MSR 1330, Montserrat
Tel: (664) 392 4427
A&F Gas Station
Address: Sweeneys, Montserrat
Tel: (664) 491 6204
More Useful Information About Montserrat
For more useful information about Montserrat, please click HERE.